2-15. SRU-21/P SURVIVAL VEST - KIT - Continued
3. Double the tape length. Pass the alined tape ends through the wire stirrup, pull on the slide interlocking
fastener and back through the loop formed by the fold in the tape length to make a slip loop. Draw the
slip loop tight. The thong finished length should measure 2-1/2 inches.
4. With the thong loose ends alined, secure the thong with a bartack located 1/8 inch back from the alined
thong ends. The bartack shall be made using original thong construction details and the specifics in table
(i) Altering vest size. When required, the size of the SRU-21/P survival vest may be altered to permit the
vest to be worn in conjunction with front and rear body armor. Vest alteration procedures are as follows.
1. Place the vest on a repair surface with the outside of the back facing up.
2. Remove the inside center panel by cutting the panel material along each side, adjacent to the edges of
the loop adjustment webbing lengths (figure 2-24). Ensure the loop adjustment webbing and the loop tape
cord are not damaged during the cutting process.
3. Cut a 5-inch-wide vertical length of material from the removed inside panel for use in expanding the width
of the left vest flap.
4. Cut the left flap of the vest straight down the center and separate the cut material.
5. Insert the material cut in 3. above between the flap cut edges and connect the expansion panel side
edges to the cut edges of the original flap material with 1/2- inch-wide overlapping seams. Secure each
seam by making two rows of stitching 1/4 inch apart the full length of the seam. Stitching will be made in
accordance with paragraph 2-7, using the specifics in table 2-3.