2-15. SRU-21/P SURVIVAL VEST-KIT-Continued
(f) Replacing a loop tape cord. Replace a defective loop tape cord at the vest back by fabricating as follows:
1. Remove the original loop tape cord by cutting the knot off of one cord end and unlace the cord from the
loops on the loop adjustment webbing. Ensure the loops or the loop adjustment webbing is not damaged
during the cutting process.
2. Cut a 114-inch length of 1/16-inch-wide, type 1A coreless nylon cord and sear the ends.
3. Secure one end of the cord length at the top loop on one length of loop adjustment webbing with a square
knot. Working in alternating directions, lace the cord length running end through every third loop on the
loop adjustment webbing, ending at the bottom of one loop adjustment webbing length. Secure the cord
length running end to a bottom loop with a square knot and trim to 1/4 inch.
(g) Replacing a slide Interlocking fastener. A slide interlocking fastener (zipper) located on the vest front or
on a vest pocket which is defective in any manner shall be replaced with a serviceable item from stock using
the following procedures:
1. Remove the original slide interlocking fastener from the vest front or vest pocket as applicable, by cutting
the stitching which secures the fastener. Ensure the adjacent vest material is not damaged during the
2. Obtain a serviceable 15-inch-long, type IV, style 8, size MHS slide interlocking fastener for use as a
replacement item for the vest front closure. For a vest pocket, use a serviceable 10-inch-long, type 1,
style 7, size MS slide interlocking fastener as a replacement item.
3. Position the replacement fastener in the original fastener location and secure the fastener by stitching
according to original construction details and paragraph 2-7, using the specifics in table 2-3.
(h) Replacing a thong. Replace a damaged thong on the vest front closure slide interlocking fastener (zipper)
by fabricating as follows:
1. Remove the original thong from the vest front closure slide interlocking fastener by cutting the thong
2. Cut a 2-3/4-inch length of 5/16-inch-wide, type 1 nylon tape and sear the ends.