(4) Inspect the two pinion shafts for cracked,
the driven shaft (58). Apply pressure on the
chipped, broken, or excessively worn teeth.
spring collar (12) compressing the spring
Check the fit of the shaft roller bearing
(13) and install the spring collar retaining
sections to their respective roller bearings
ring (11) and the retainer ring (10) on the
and for a galled, grooved, or worn condition.
driven shaft (58).
Replace if unserviceable.
(5) Inspect the gear for cracked, chipped,
Caution: Use extreme care when
broken, or excessively worn teeth. Check
compressing spring (13) as the
the fit of the bore to the driven shaft, and for
spring tension exceeds 500 pounds.
an oversize or rounded keyway. Replace if
(4) Press the ball bearing (57) and the two ball
(6) Inspect the driven shaft for straightness,
bearings (41) into their respective bore of
oversize or rounded keyways, and damaged
the gearcase (40).
splines and threads. Check the fit of bearing
(5) Place the bearing cap (52) and oil slinger
sections to their respective bearings, and for
(54) onto the threaded end of the driven
a galled, grooved, or worn condition.
shaft (58) and insert the shaft through the
Replace if unserviceable.
rear of the gearcase (40). Seat the bearing
(7) Inspect the varidiscs for cracks, breaks, or
section of the shaft in the bore of the ball
scored belt surfaces, and damaged splines.
bearing (57). Aline the holes in the bearing
Check fit or bore to driven shaft. Replace if
cap (52) with the holes in the bearing boss
and secure with three screws (53).
(8) Inspect the spring for cracks, breaks, or
(6) Install the lockwasher (56) and locknut (55)
on the driven shaft (58).
locknut, and bend one of the tabs of the
mounting bracket for cracks, breaks, and
lockwasher into a groove in the nut.
damaged threads. Check the bores with
(7) Install the machine key (51) in the shaft
their respective bearings. Weld or braze
keyway. Aline the keyway in the gear (49)
minor cracks or breaks.
with the key in the shaft and install the gear
on the shaft. Secure with two locknuts (50).
(10) Inspect all other parts for wear or damaged
(8) Attach a rope sling to the gearcase (40) and
condition. Replace all defective parts.
use a suitable lifting device to position the
c. Reassembly and Installation.
assembled gearcase on the case frame
(1) Slide the stationary varidisc (23) onto the
(63). Secure the gearcase to the case
splined end of the driven shaft (58). Place in
frame with four screws (33) and washers
the exact position as noted in a (18) above,
and secure with four screws (24), and
(9) Press the 2 ball bearings (31) into their
washers (25). Install the retainer ring (22)
and spline seal (21).
bracket (36) and install the 2 dowel pins (39)
(2) Slide the bearing cap (18) onto the hub of
and 24 studs (35).
the movable varidisc (20). Press the ball
(10) Thread the extension bushing (45) in the
bearing (17) in the spring collar (14) and
rear of the generator mounting bracket
press the assembled spring collar onto the
making sure the bushing protrudes from the
varidisc hub. Secure the spring collar (14)
bracket as noted in a above. Install the oil
to the bearing cap (18) with three screws
seal (46), two felt washers (47), and
(15), and washers (16).
extension shaft (48) in the extension
(3) Install the movable varidisc (20), spring (13)
and spring collar (12) on the splined end of