(5) Remove the control nut (15) from the shifting
parallelism of the four mounting holes.
lever in a similar manner. Remove the
Inside diameter of holes should measure
adjusting stud (19) from the control nut.
(6) Remove three screws (8) and washers (6
and 7) from the shifting bearing housing (5)
(9) Inspect the stat ionary varidisc for cracks,
and remove the housing from the bearing
breaks, and for a scored belt surface.
Check the fit of the bore with the motor
(7) Straighten the tangs on the lockwasher (3)
shaft. The inside diameter should measure
and remove the locknut (4), lockwasher (3),
1.751 inch. Replace if unserviceable.
ball bearing (2), bearing cap (1), and splined
seal (18) from the hub of varidisc (19).
(8) Remove the needl e bearing (55) from the
(10) Inspect the movable varidisc for cracks,
adapter bracket (56), if unserviceable.
breaks, worn or damaged splines, and for a
(9) Remove the adjusting stud (52) and the
grease fitting (12) from the adapter bracket.
c. Cleaning, Inspection and Repair.
(11) Inspect all other parts for cracks, breaks,
(1) Clean all parts, except the ball and needle
worn or damaged threads. Replace any
bearings, in an approved cleaning solvent
and dry thoroughly.
(2) Clean the ball and needle bearings in an
(1) Install the adjusting stud (52), and the
approved cleaning solvent and drip dry. Do
grease fitting (12) in the adapter bracket
not use compressed air for drying.
(3) Inspect the ball bearings for pitted, scored,
(2) Pack the needle bearing (55) with grease
overheated, or worn condition. Check the fit
and install the bearing in the adapter bracket
of the bearings to their respective bores and
shafts. Replace if unserviceable.
(3) Pack the ball bearing (2) with grease and
(4) Inspect the needle bearing for pitted, worn,
install the splined seal (18), bearing cap (1),
or out of round rollers. Check the fit of the
ball bearing (2), lockwasher (3), and locknut
bearing to the shaft.
(4) on the hub of the movable varidisc (19).
Tighten the locknut, and bend one of the
(5) Inspec t the adapter bracket, shifting bearing
locknut tangs into a groove in the nut.
housing, and bearing caps for cracks,
(4) Install the shifting bearing housing (5) over
breaks, and damaged threads. Check the
the hub of the varidisc (19) and secure to
bearing bores with their respective bearings.
the bearing cap (1) with three screws (8)
Repair cracks by welding, and chase
and washers (6 and 7).
damaged threads, if practicable. Replace if
(5) Install the adjusting stud (16) in the control
nut (15). Position the control nut between
(6) Inspect the control shaft and the control nut
the arms of the shifting lever (14) and
for cracks, breaks, worn or damaged
secure with screws (11 and 13).
threads. Check thread backlash through out
(6) Install the shi fting bearing housing (5) in a
the entire travel. Replace if unserviceable.
(7) Check the bore of the control shaft bearing
(7) Pack the ball bearing (49) with grease.
collar with its respective bearing. Replace if
Press the bearing on the control
(8) Inspect the shifting lever for cracks, breaks,
Check alinement and