c. FSCM (Column (3)). The Federal Supply Code for Manufacturer (FSCM) is a 5-digit numeric code
which is used to identify the manufacturer, distributor, or Government agency, etc., that supplies the item.
d. PART NUMBER (Column (4)). Indicates the primary number used by the manufacturer (individual,
company, firm, corporation, or Government activity), which controls the design and characteristics of the
item by means of its engineering drawings, specifications standards, and inspection requirements to iden-
tify an item or range of items.
NOTE: When you use a NSN to requisition an item, the item you receive may have a different part
number from the part ordered.
e. DESCRIPTION AND USABLE ON CODE (UOC) (Column (5)). This column includes the following
(1) The Federal item name and, when required, a minimum description to identify the item.
(2) The physical security classification of the item is indicated by the parenthetical entry (insert ap-
plicable physical security classification abbreviation, e.g., Phy Sec Cl (c) -Confidential, Phy Sec Cl (S)
Secret, Phy Sec Cl (T) -Top Secret).
(3) Items that are included in kits and sets are listed below the name of the kit or set.
(4) Spare; repair parts that make up an assembled item are listed immediately following the assembl-
ed item line entry.
(5) Part numbers for bulk materials are referenced in this column in the line item entry for the item to
be manufactured/ fabricated.
(6) When the item is not used with all serial numbers of the same model, the effective serial numbers
are shown on the last line(s) of the description (before UOC).
(7) The usable on code, when applicable (see paragraph 5, Special information).
(8) In the Special Tools List section, the basis of issue (BOI) appears as the last line(s) in the entry for
each special tool, special TM DE, and other special support equipment. When density of issue, the total
authorization is increased proportionately.
(9) The statement END OF FIGURE appears just below the last item description in Column 5 for a
given figure in both Section II and Section III.
f. QTY (Column (6). The QTY (quantity per figure column) indicates the quantity of the item used in the
breakdown shown on the illustration figure, which is prepared for a functional group, subfunctional group,
or an assembly. A V appearing in this column in lieu of a quantity indicates that the quantity is variable
and the quantity may vary from application to application.
4. Explanation of Columns (Sect. IV).
a. NATIONAL STOCK NUMBER (NSN) INDEX.
(1) STOCK NUMBER Column. This column lists the NSN by National item identification number
(NIIN) sequence. The NIIN consists of the last nine digits of the NSN (i.e., 5305-01-674-1467). When using
this column to locate an item, ignore the first 4 digits of the NSN. However, the complete NSN should be us-
ed when ordering items by stock number.