Prior to inspection of an overwater survival kit containing a life raft assembly, ensure the
activation device is disconnected from the raft inflation assembly to prevent inadvertent Inflation
of the raft.
Do not attempt to remove the SRU-15/P sleeping bag from the vacuum packed container for inspection.
General. This paragraph contains a tabulated listing (table 2-1) of preventive maintenance checks and services
which must be performed by ALSE qualified personnel. The survival kits and related survival components are
listed consecutively and the numbers indicate the sequence of minimum inspection requirements. The intervals
of inspection required for survival kit types are as follows:
(1) Prior to issue, then every 120 days, prior to and after repairs or modification, then every 120 days.
(2) Prior to issue and every 180 days, in conjunction with the OV-1 seat inspection, for flotation equipment
refer to TM 5-4220-202-14 or T.O. 14S-1-102.
Attaching a Serviceable Material Condition Tag (DO Form 1574). On survival kits which have been
determined to be serviceable, a completed DD Form 1574 (Serviceable Tag - Material) will be attached to each
kit as follows:
(1) Individual hot climate, cold climate, and overwater survival kits. Using one turn single, type I nylon
cord, secure the material condition tag to the outer case pocket flap grommet and put in top pocket.
(2) OV-1 aircraft hot climate, cold climate, and overwater survival kits. Due to the method of installing
survival kits in the OV-1 aircraft ejection seat, the material condition tag shall not be affixed to the exterior of
the applicable survival kit case. Instead, the tag will be positioned on the inside of the kit, Iying on top of
the survival components. Form 1574-1 (Serviceable Label-Material) will be attached to the top of the lid
between the hook and pile seat pad attaching strips.
(3) SRU-21/P survival vest. Place the material condition tag into the inside pocket of the vest, if no other
method is used to keep a permanent record to whom vest is assigned, date of last inspection, date of next
inspection, and name of ALSE inspector.