Figure 3-18. TACAN Indicator
selected course: deviation bar will center and move to
right of center. Full scale deflection will be 10 degrees,
(2) Normal Operation.
2. RMI selector for #1 needle single
(yellow) - Select VOR
3. HSI switches - Depress TACAN.
4. Mode switch (X-Y-XA/A) As required.
5. TACAN control panel Select desired
6. Wait 5 seconds for signal acquisition
and lock-on. If bearing signal lock-on
does not occur, the TACAN remains
in the bearing search mode. If
bearing lock-on is not obtained,
perform an inflight self test to ensure
correct operation of the system. Any
time the course indicator's flag is in
view, the bearing, course deviation,
and the TO-FROM information may
On the RMI, there is no warning flag
to indicate failure to receive the
station. Instead, the RMI needle will
drive to the park or 3 o'clock position.
Always cross-check the RMI with the
HSI course indicator for a possible
7. Ensure that audio station identification
signal is correct for the ground station
8. COURSE knob (HSI) Set course
desired. Verify proper TO or FROM
9. Intercept course as required. Verify
intercept heading by reference to the
10. Course deviation bar (HSI) Read
deviation from selected course. The
heading and the course pointer, when
the course deviation bar is centered
and the aircraft is tracking the
selected course, will show the wind
11. TACAN indicator Read range (NM).
Verify proper range is represented on