to release brake cable
from actuator of brake lever (16).
Nylon blade failures have occurred in hot,
(2) Remove lower nut (4), washers (5), and
dry climates as a result of losing blade
screw (6) from bracket of brake lever (16), to release
flexibility caused by loss of their natural
spacer (8) and cable housing clamp (9). Do not remove
Therefore, at 30-day
cable housing clamp from cable unless necessary for
intervals, remove the blades from the hub
assembly and place in boiling water for 30
minutes. This action is mandatory in all
cable to bracket (106) on pump support assembly (107).
areas where humidity remains below 50
(4) Remove cotter pin (4), washer (5), and pin (6)
percent for extended periods of time.
securing cable to pump link (8).
(1) Remove blades from hub assembly as
(5) Remove cable from tank installation.
described in steps c and d following
(2) Place blades in boiling water for 30
minutes to restore flexibility.
Use solvent in a well-ventilated area. Avoid
Remove three bolts
breathing of fumes and excessive solvent
(20) and remove synchromatic windmill assembly (24)
contact with skin. Keep solvent away from
open flame. Wash hands before smoking or
d. Disassembly (fig. 7-1).
d. Clcalilg and Inspection. Clean cable of all di)-rt
and other foreign matter by sloshing in cleaning solvent,
Do not disassemble cap hub assembly (1).
Federal Specification P-D-680.
Inspect cable for wear
(1) Lift cap hub assembly (1) from base hub
e. Installation. Install pump brake cable on tank
(2) Remove blades (2) from base hub.
installation by routing in manner noted during removal.
installation details for use during reassembly.
Uise figure 4-9 and the following steps as guides:
(3) Remove actuator (4) from adjusting
(1) Route cable over pump support assembly
(107) and through tank support assembly (133) beneath
e. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair. Clean and
the tank. End of cable with jam nuts on sheath goes
inspect all parts of the synchromatic windmill as-
sembly as follows:
(2) Attach cable end to pump link (8).
(1) Inspect all metal parts for nicks,
Secule with pin (6), washer (5), and cotter pin (4).
scratches, corrosion, or other damage.
(3) Connect cable end to actuator of brake
minor defects using aluminum oxide abrasive cloth per
lever (16, fig. 4-10), using clevis pin (3), washer (2).
Federal Specification P-C-451 for aluminum parts.
and cotter pin (1).
Use crocus cloth per Federal Specification P-C-458
(4) Secure cable housing clamp (9) and
for steel parts.
spacer (8) to bracket of brake lever (16), using screw (6),
(2) Inspect all threaded parts for crossed or
washers (5), and nut (4).
otherwise damaged threads and for damaged tool
(5) Secure brake cable to bracket (106, fig.
41-), using two washers (10) and jam nuts (9).
(3) Inspect blades for cracks, breaks, and
(6) Adjust cable as described in step b,
Blades should be quite flexible. Check
Synchromatic Windmill Assembly
stiffness by doubling blade tip over toward hub.
You should be able to bend blade tip over
a. General. The synchromatic windmill assembly
to almost touch itself.
(24, fig. 4-2) is attached to and drives the airborne pump.
(4) Replace all parts not meeting inspection
It consists of six adjustable, molded nylon blades
requirements. Restore blade flexibility by placing blade in
mounted within two hub halves which contain an
boiling water for 30 minutes, as in step b, preceding.
Assembly. Reassemble synchromatic windmill
by turning the adjusting nut in the center of the windmill
assembly using figure 7-1 and the following steps as
hub. The synchromatic windmill assembly is turned by
the slipstream while the helicopter is in forward flight.
(1) Lightly oil bearing surfaces of base hub
b. Maintenance and Adjustment.
(3) with oil per Federal Specification VV-L-820.
blades for condition.