2-5.1. DONNING/REMOVING CEP (CEP-EQUIPPED HELMETS ONLY).
a. Donning CEP
1. If not already done, select the correct foam tip size (standard, slim, or short) as
If you wear the orange or blue triple-flange earplug, select the standard foam tip.
If you wear the green earplug, select the slim foam tip.
A small percentage of users may require the short foam tip.
If the correct size cannot be determined, ask your flight medical staff for help.
2. Attach the proper foam tip to each earplug by threading
the plastic end of the foam tip onto the ear plug. Do not
tighten too much; tighten only enough to seat the foam
tip onto the CEP housing. About one revolution of the
plastic end is usually enough.
3. Drape the CEP over your shoulders and on either side
of your neck from the back so that the earplug attached
to the shorter cord is on your right and the longer cord
is on your left. (One way to remember this is Long is
Left.) This will ensure that the connector end is posi-
tioned toward the right in the back so it will reach the
Do not force the earplug into the ear. This may cause the foam tip to be pushed back,
exposing the plastic tube inside. This will diminish hearing protection and may cause
injury to the ear canal.
Ensure that the proper foam tip is attached to each earplug before inserting the ear-
plug into the ear.
4. Referring to Figure 2-8.1, compress the foam tip (1) of one earplug to about 1/3 of its
original diameter by rolling it between your thumb and index finger. This will ease inser-
tion into the ear. Do not squeeze the foam tip flat. When compressing the foam tip, do
not allow a crease to form. This will diminish hearing protection.
5. Referring to Figure 2-8.1, hold the earplug housing (2) between the thumb and index fin-
ger on your hand on the same side as the earplug being fitted. With your other hand,
reach behind your head and pull your ear on the same side as the earplug up and away
from your head. This will straighten the ear canal to ease earplug insertion. Carefully in-
sert the foam tip of the earplug into the ear.
6. Ensure that the earplug is positioned so that the wire rests in the notch at the bottom of
the ear canal. Hold the plug for a few seconds until the foam expands inside the ear and
will hold the plug in place.
7. Repeat Steps 4-6 for the other earplug.
Figure 2-8.1. Earplug