F-4. EXPLANATION-OF COLUMNS (Section IV).
a. NATlONAL STOCK NUMBER INDEX.
(1) STOCK NUMBER column. This column lists the NSN by National Item Identifica-
tion Number (NIIN) sequence. The NIIN consists of the last nine digits of the
When using this column to locate an item, ignore the first 4 digits of the NSN.
However, the complete NSN should be used when ordering items by stock number.
(2) FIG. Column. This column lists the number of the figure where the item is
identified/located. The figures are in numerical order in Section II and Section III.
(3) ITEM Column. The item number identifies the item associated with the figure
listed in the adjacent FIG. column. This item is also identified by the NSN listed
on the same line.
b. PART NUMBER INDEX. Part numbers in this index are listed by part number in
ascending alphanumeric sequence (i.e. vertical arrangement of letter and number
combination which places the first letter or digit of each group in order A through Z,
followed by the numbers 0 through 9 and each following letter or digit through like
(1) CAGE column. The Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) is a five-digit
numeric code used to identify the manufacturer, distributor, or Government
agency etc. that supplies the item.
(2) PART NUMBER column. Indicates the primary number used by the manufacturer
(individual, firm, corporation, or Government activity) which controls the design
and characteristics of the item by means of its engineering drawing, specification
standards, and inspection requirements to identify an item or range of items.
(3) STOCK NUMBER column. This column lists the NSN for the associated part
number and manufacturer identified in the PART NUMBER and CAGE columns to
(4) FIG. column. This column lists the number of the figure where the item is
identified/located in Section II and Section III.