Change 3 5-15
When installing the lip lights battery pack holder (pile fastener), ensure pile fastener
installation does not interfere with the mounting of the night vision systems low profile
b. Battery Holder Bag. The battery holder bag, part number BG-AA is constructed of Cordura Nylon
and is attached to the helmet with Velcro. To install battery pack holder, follow the procedures
1. Place a 1 X 2 inches piece of pile fastener at the rear of the helmet for the attachment of
battery holder bag. Mark the area with a pencil.
2. Clean marked area using isopropyl alcohol pads.
3. Apply a thin coating of adhesive (MIL-A-5540, Class 3) to the marked area. Allow the
adhesive to dry until tacky (approximately 1-2 minutes) or use velcro issued with lip light or
use sticky back velcro and cut to size in accordance with technical order.
4. Affix the pile fastener pieces to the adhesive. Apply pressure to the entire pile fastener area
to ensure a good bond.
Prior to installing battery, test battery using manufacturers instructions using ZTS Multi-
Battery Tester (Reference Figure 5-7), NSN 6625-01-494-9163, P/N MBT-MIL. The
MBT-MIL Tester displays capacity measurements in the 10%, 20%, 40%, 60%, and
80% range. If batteries indicate less than 80% strength, remove battery from service
and replace with a serviceable battery. The ZTS Multi-Tester may be locally acquired
from ZTS, Inc., 6749 Bramble Avenue, Cincinnati OH, Zip Code 45227, phone: 1-888-
796-2777 or (513) 271-2557, Internet: WWW.ZTSINC.COM.
Figure 5-7. ZTS MBT
Type AA commercial battery manufacturing labels may differ. Some of the typical
labels will contain short warning statements such as (Panasonic AA Battery) may
explode or leak if recharged, inserted improperly, disposed of in fire or mixed with
different battery types. Ensure all safety measures are taken when handling batteries
and disposed batteries in accordance with per local directives.
5. Place two AA batteries into battery holder, part number ML2-7. Connect lead wire from lip light to
battery holder. Place battery holder into battery pack holder bag and close.
6. Mount battery pack holder bag to pile fastener on helmet shell.