1. Obtain the needed replacement components.
2. Referring to Figure 4-85, mount the boom and stuffing tube (SAB) as follows:
(a) Assemble the stuffing tube (SAB) (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9)
(b) Install a plastic washer (3) onto the end of the shaft (9) of the stuffing tube (SAB).
(c) Install the stuffing tube (SAB) into the slotted hole from the outside of the helmet.
(d) Insert a 10-32 x ¼ screw (1) through the flat washer (2) and through the helmet shell
mounting hole from the inside of the helmet.
3. Remove the strain relief plate from the communications cord by untying the cord.
4. From the outside of the helmet, pass the entire communications cord though the hole in
the rear of the helmet shell, leaving only the microphone connector with the mounting
bracket and the grommet outside the helmet.
5. Insert the grommet into the hole. (If necessary, wet the grommet with plain water to
6. Install two screws to attach the microphone connector with the jack holder plate to the
Figure 4-85. Boom and Microphone
4-64.4 Change 3