8. Insert the communications cord grommet into the hole in the shell, earphone.
For easier insertion, wet the grommet with plain water if needed.
9. Insert the communications cord leads into the receiver. Using a jewelers screw-
driver (Item 6, Appendix B), tighten the two set screws.
10. Insert the cushion, ear lengthwise into the shell, earphone. Center it in the shell,
ensuring that the receiver and the communications cord leads are accessible.
11. Center the receiver in front of the cushion, ear. Insert the receiver retainer into
the earcup and center it so that the receiver is seated in the retainer pocket.
12. Plug the microphone cord into the microphone.
13. Tighten the two set screws to secure the microphone cord to the microphone.
14. Install and tighten the knurled thumbscrew attaching the microphone to the
15. Plug the microphone cord into the communication cord connector at the rear of
16. Using the boom clip, attach the communication cord to the boom assembly.
17. Slip the microphone shield (12) over the microphone.
18. Position the front of the lining, helmet, shock (EAL) at the rear of the helmet
between the nape strap pad assembly and the helmet shell.
Ensure that the holes in the lining, helmet, shock (EAL) align with the
plenum openings for air cooling.
In addition, the square hole should
be located to allow access to the strap assembly, chin mounting hard-
w a r e .
19. Following the contour of the helmet shell, slide the lining, helmet, shock (EAL)
into the helmet. Attach the pile fasteners on the lining, helmet, shock (EAL) to
the hook fasteners on the inside of the helmet shell.
20. Reattach the nape strap pad to the helmet shell via the screw, washer, and post
21. Squeezing the sides of the lining, helmet, shock (TPL), reinstall it in the helmet.
Ensure that the hook-and-pile fasteners are engaged.
22. Ensure that the nape strap pad is pulled down and properly aligned.
23. Reattach the earcups to the earcup retaining pads. Check earcup position and
adjust as necessary.
24. Test the TEMPEST system in accordance with Table 4-1.