Change 3 3-71
Table 3-10. INS Action Codes and Recommended Actions
Shut down INS.
Watch for degradation (NAV). During ground operation, downmode to STBY and restart alignment.
INS may be used for navigation. One or more analog outputs are not functioning properly. Check 26
VAC circuit breakers. HSI and autopilot.
Downmode to STBY and restart alignment (ground operation only).
Correct problem in interfacing system (could be INS). Will not seriously affect performance.
ZZ = UTM zone
KKK = Easting Kilometers
KKKK = Northing Kilometers
MMM = Northing or easting meters
Zero is assumed for meters, minutes, and sec-
(f) INS mode selector - ALIGN. Place the
mode selector ALIGN when the INS LOADING message
(3) INS BIT check.
(a) UTIL on MFD - Depress.
(b) SYSTEM BIT (R1) - Depress.
(c) BIT check - Conduct on installed equip-
ment as required. Before conducting the INS BIT, check
that the INS is in align state 8 or lower. Before INS is
placed in the NAV mode of operation, set up the EHSI for
an interface check by performing the following:
1. INS on EHSI - Select by depressing
INS/TCN on EFIS display controller.
2. INS - Select on single needle bearing
source selector switch on EFIS display
(d) INS (R2) - Depress. Check indications as
1. MFD - INS BATT, INS FAIL, and WAY-
POINT ALERT CWA lights illumi-
2. EHSI - INS needle 30 degrees right of
lubber line and course deviation bar
displaced left. Check WPT ALERT illu-
3. Aircraft caution/advisory annunciator
panel - Amber INS annunciator light
4. INS mode controller - Green READY
light and red BATT light illuminated.
5. Mission annunciator panel - Green
INS UPDATE and amber NO INS UP-
DATE annunciator lights illuminated.
6. After 15 seconds the text COMPLETE
or any ACTION and MALFUNCTION
codes will be displayed. If ACTION
and MALFUNCTION codes are dis-
played they may have been cleared by
the BIT test and the display is showing
what was previously there. The only
way to ensure they are cleared is to
conduct another BIT and the text
(4) Navigation setup.
(a) Waypoint list - Build as follows:
1. Mode switch B - Depress to select
2. WPT LIST (R4) - Depress. WPT num-
bers 10 - 59 are shown. The WPT se-
lect window surrounds a WPT line.
3. Waypoint string (line number, WPT ID,
and LAT/LONG coordinates) - Enter
4. ADD/SEL (R1) - Depress to load WPT
5. Load waypoint list using the Data
Transfer System by pressing NAV
DATA (L2) when the desired data set
is boxed on the DATA TRANSFER
(b) Flight Plan - Build as follows:
1. WPT numbers - Enter into scratchpad
in order of desired use (up to nine) or
box desired WPTs by pressing PREV
(R2) or NEXT (R3) and depress LOAD
2. ROUTES (R5) - Depress.
3. Route - Select 1st, 2nd, or 3rd to enter
WPT numbers by depressing the ap-
propriate line button to store the
WPTS as a route.
4. NEW FPLN (L1) - Depress to activate