Figure 3C-159. TCAS System Test
(3) To initiate self-test, perform the following
1. Select TEST and then select STBY on
2. Vertical speed/TCAS indicator will
remove operating TCAS display from
indicator and show traffic test pattern
and TEST on indicator.
3. At the end of test sequence an aural
message "TCAS System Test Okay"
or "TCAS System Test Fail" will be
annunciated. If the FAIL light stays
on, it denotes a failure in the
transponder or units monitored by the
transponder. FAIL illuminates for
1 second to verify operation of the
light and test mode in the transponder.
Transponder code digits will display
8888 for 1 second to verify that all digit
segments will illuminate.
o. Normal/In-Flight Operation. By selecting
TA/RA mode, the system automatically inhibits RA
displays when the aircraft is below 900 feet AGL on
approach or 1100 feet AGL on climbout. When flying
in close proximity to other aircraft during takeoff and
landing, this may be desirable.
1. Immediately before beginning takeoff,
2. Select short range (5 nm) to reduce
1. Select desired display range.
2. Select normal (neither Above nor
1. Select 10-nm range display.
2. Select Below for descent into the